Plan B(ee)

Some time ago I made my Mom a full apron with this fabric and recycled bits of jeans. There was enough of the vinyl bee fabric for a shopper or the like but inspiration hit yesterday during a garden rest day. 


A vendor’s apron for her to wear when the farm stand opens on the ninth of next month. The front pocket is divided into three sections while the single back pocket has a strong Velcro strip on a hidden cash pocket. Two loops with hooks are also in the single pocket section. 

The D ring belt is not fixed there in the channel so it is easier to fasten. It’s extra long for fitting over whatever outerwear is needed from September through the end of the season. If it needs further modification I have a sewing machine at the farm! 

It’s drafted by yours truly but I was inspired by assorted similar things online as well as a gardening apron I saw in a shop yesterday when I was out and about with the Passat, trying to forget about how much grunt work remains for me to do in the back garden….

Advertisements

Never too old for a new toy!

Take that, arthritis! Think again if you think you are going to keep me from pursuing my new passtime. 

After some online research and video watching it was just a few clicks more to have a stencil tool sent. 


A lighter touch is needed but how great to have a complete image to use for cutting appliqués. An emery board will take care of the rough edges. I traced the image onto my Mylar with a sharpie and placed an 11×14 bit of glass over a cutting mat to protect it. Got a little fume-y in the sunroom but I think that was from going too slowly. 

Away to test my new airbrush tool (as recommended on the AC site) in the garage. 

Braveheart 

I wish I was brave enough to do it. 


Altering the garden party dress into a skirt and top was in my head even as I was designing it. 

‘Cut the top to tunic length then add a waistband as needed on the skirt’ thought I. 

Now that my creation has served its purpose it deserves to move on. Got no garden parties, weddings et al on my summer schedule. I don’t need this as is any more. 

I could stencil and reverse appliqué the top so that it could be reassembled for a dress ‘look’. 

Or make a top in the reverse color scheme.

This shouldn’t be so hard!!! Measure twice, then cut!

Tomorrow. I’ll do it tomorrow. 

When you don’t know what to stitch next

you might as well spend some time making sure your craft room doesn’t qualify you for an episode of ‘Hoarders’. 

I made a good stab at emptying the mending and small refashions box today: taking in Ts, mending a pair of capris, reducing a pair of handkerchiefs that I was told were too large (?) and putting pockets on a refashioned apron that was too short so also needed length. 


Purple linen bought in Shenzhen and a recycled flowery ‘Daisy May’ type top furnished the scraps for the additions to a recycled tartan dress bought during the early days of our two years in Hong Kong when I discovered most of my summer clothes were still too warm for that climate. 

Slowly but surely I’ve been taking apart clothes from that time if I still like the color and print and weight of the fabric. There’s enough now for a tub swap!


I guess next time I’m tucked away in the craft room I’ll play match the pattern to the fabric so I can get going on some new hot weather clothes for a St. John AVI trip at the end of the year. Sure don’t need clothes like that here at home at present. We’ve had our three days of summer….

A sixties vibe

Wouldn’t you say?


You could almost wear the dress inside out. 

Yeah. I’m ready to be done with this project! I’m already mentally planning the next dress but it won’t have a set finish date, which will hopefully make the process less of a chore. 

If I had to do it all again

Certainly felling one’s seams is easier to do pre-construction but I wanted one last fitting before committing. 

I’ve only myself to blame. I made a mock. I should trust years and years (and years) of experience. It’s another day of fiddly work on the cards. 

Sigh. 


No wonder I feel a bit like the kestrel chicks on my family’s farm! These wee things and their three siblings were carefully measured and weighed a few days ago. (They sort of ‘play dead’ when the folk involved in the kestrel project visit to check the boxes dotted about the orchard).

No chicks were harmed in the taking of this photo!